Friday, July 9, 2010

Update on Cole

Well Cole is good. He has gained weight since he has been home and shrunk an inch :). They measured wrong at the hospital. It is fun to watch peoples reaction to him in public. Some women have noticed he is a new baby but then they are surprised to hear that is only days old... big boy :). I also never thought that the first week he was home I'd already have to clean out his closet. He out grew some newborn things the first few days of life. For example today he is wearing 3-6mo... not always the case but some 0-3 mo thing are too small for my Rollie Pollie Colie.

We had his first specialist appointment today. It went well, better than I was expecting after gloomy yesterday. His right ear is normal, no hearing loss. The left ear is completely closed and has moderate to severe loss, which is expected considering the ear is completely closed. He responded to certain pitches and sounds. Moderate to Severe loss sounds bad but there is another category that is worse... I don't remember what it was though. Then they tested the hearing nerve and the hearing bone. Both are there and working, so what that means he will be able to hear with the use of a hearing aid. The hearing aid will direct sound to travel through certain bones to his inner ear bypassing the outer ear since it is closed. All of this is positive news that we hoping to hear. It would have been great if there wasn't so much hearing loss in that left ear but what else can you expect with tissue covering the canal. Surgery is inevitable... we also don't know how many surgeries or when. Surgery will open the canal and cosmetically fix the outer ear. However today they already wanted to set up a consult to fit him for a hearing aid. Hopefully it is covered by our insurance so we can get that in the next few months. We still have other concerns and unanswered questions and those will be directed to other specialist but this is a good start. A better start than I was expecting after my feel-sorry-for-myself-pity-party I was throwing myself yesterday... sorry about that, but I think days and moments like that are too be expected.

Thank you for your prayers, support and concern. Now we pray that the hearing aid will be covered by our insurance and that there is no genetic disorder associated with this birth defect. Going through this once is enough as far as I am concerned.

4 comments:

Brenda Walker said...

praying for you guys! Reading through your posts it is evident that you are trusting God and know that He has all things in control! You are a women of strong faith!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Jessica. I'm continuing to pray for him and your family. Keep up the positive attitude!

Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot to sign my name on the last comment. I don't have a blog or google account, so it makes me leave my comments as anonymous. Love you guys, Andrea

Jacquee said...

Jessica, thank you for being so open and vulnerable about little Cole. I have been praying for your little guy, and for you and Levi as well. How amazing that God chose you and Levi to be his parents and Wesley to be his big brother. He's already such a blessed little man. Hang in there, and know that people are praying for you and thinking of you. You're a great Mommy, don't forget that!