Tuesday, November 27, 2007

So Much To Be Thankful For

We'll we had a good Thanksgiving and a good trip to Redding. I made the turkey this year. I decided that I don't care to be the host... no time to visit! I didn't get to see my family on Thanksgiving. Wesley needed a nap so we stuck around the house to let him sleep. He took a 2 hour nap so we missed Thanksgiving at my Aunts house. I have to be honest I had high expectations for my first turkey. I thought it was going to be the best anyone had every had. I was using a recipe from Levi's cousin and when she made it the turkey got rave reviews. It looked so golden and juice, but honestly the taste was lacking. It might have been one of the worst turkeys I'd every had, sadly. At least there is room for improvment. I think it might have been worse to start off with a bang and never quite measure up after that. The side dishes were all wonderful though. I had my helping of sweet potatoes. I never could get past the texture before, and a sweet- potato, who'd like that. Wesley eats them though, so then I would take little bites of his and decided that I kinda liked it. Oh and Mary Jane did great job with the sweet potatoes on Thanksgiving... yum. Wesley had Thanksgiving Dinner also. He didn't care much for the bread. He just held it in his mouth funny for awhile refusing to eat it. His favorite part of dinner was Auntie Deanna. He spent the whole meal peaking around Levi to smile or laugh at her... I mean the whole dinner. Later he got his pj's on and chased Maggie around the house, they both love that game. Everyone called it an early night since most had been with family all day. Plus there was shopping to be done the next morning.

Yes I braved the crowds, expect there weren't really crowds. I got some good deals and started the Christmas shopping. I don't really know why I like to go out the day after Thanksgiving. I just do. It is a way to kick off the season. I spent most of my trip singing "Let it Snow" to Wesley... it doesn't snow in Sacramento ever, it is just catchy and got me in the shopping spirit.

I spent some much needed time with my girlfriends. I don't think they really understand how much I miss them. Good friends get harder and harder to find and keep. Life gets busy and you have to work to keep them in your life sometimes... especially when they are 150 miles away. It is work to keep them involved. We had a get together with some other moms and mutual friends, and it was nice to have such a laid back day. I don't think Wesley smiled once till Molly was taking a nap and all the other babies were gone. He doesn't share the spot light very well. In his defense I do bring him around to my friends house usually close to nap time, so I do it to myself.


We also did family photos, which Levi loved! Betsey got a little creative with them and we took them in front of a train car. I love them, some people will probably think we look like bums and for those I have other photos they will probably enjoy. It is nice to finally have a family photo.

Wesley is now 10 months old. I can't believe it!! So very soon he will be 1 year! He is crawling all over the place. He still just follows me around instead of running off. He is understanding the word "No" just hates hearing it sometimes... well all of the time. I am trying to teach him a few signs and he clear understands some things I say to him like "this is the last bite" One time he just cried before he even got the last bite... He didn't want him breakfast to be over. I gave him more, that is when I realized he might be ready for baby signs.

I am so thankful for Wesley. I thank God for him daily. I am so thankful for Levi. He has been such a big help, a wonderful father and husband. I definately couldn't do it without him... I don't know how single mom's do it! My list of "Thanks" could go on forever and it ever changing. With every turn there is someone and something new to be thankful for. (Wesley in Gramps' SCUBA booties... He loved them. Gramps thinks that is a good sign)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jessica... I must protest on your posting regarding your turkey... It was good and I enjoyed it.. You are a brave soul being a new mom and attempting your first Thankgiving.. Everything was yummy especially the cranberry sauce.. Who brought that scrumptious stuff?? :)

Jenn said...

We missed seeing you at our Thanksgiving too, but I am glad your s was enjoyable and you still did spend it with family.

Also, on a side note you asked me about teaching baby signs. I dont think I would ever do it again. Then again I dont currently have someone whining at me whom I cant figure out what they need or want. I just think it has really slowed down Bella learning to talk. She figured out she could get what she wanted thru signing so why try. Jamie has had the same experience with Ally and another friend of mine with one of her children. Tessa and the siblings of the others mentioned all talked much earlier than these did. But as always each child is different. :) Good Luck Sorry about the book.

Princess of Quite a Lot said...

I love you pictures! It's so fun to see Wesley (and you guys, too), he's so cute (but you aren't as cute)!